Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Science Fiction Music

Some songs and music videos have a definite Science Fiction theme to them. The obvious ones are from SF movies and TV shows. But there are other songs that will pop up from time to time.

Mr. Spaceman - The Byrds

From the sixties. Another way to take a trip: hitch a ride with a spaceman!
Hey, Mr. Spaceman
Won't you please take me along
I won't do anything wrong
Hey, Mr. Spaceman
Won't you please take me along for a ride.


Come Sail Away - Styx

Styx had a similar idea in the Seventies.
I thought that they were angels, but to my surprise
They climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies.


Mr Roboto - Styx

In Science Fiction, it's always nice to have a few robots.


Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots - The Flaming Lips

Of course, in Science Fiction, you end up having to fight those evil robots.


If you want to hear more from The Flaming Lips, go to: www.wbr.com

‘39 - Queen

I love this song. It deals with the time dilation between people on Earth and people on a space ship traveling close to the speed of light. Time on the spaceship would slow down compared to time on Earth.
Don't you hear my call
Though you're many years away
Don't you hear me calling you
Write your letters in the sand
For the day I'll take your hand
In the land that our grand-children knew

The sad reunion of the spaceman and his wife, who is much older than him now.
Don't you hear my call
Though you're many years away
Don't you hear me calling you
All your letters in the sand
Cannot heal me like your hand
For my life, still ahead, pity me.


Queen & George Michael perform the song at the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert: www.dailymotion.com

Flash Gordon - Queen

Queen also sang the title song for the 1980 movie Flash Gordon.


Radio Ga-Ga - Queen

A third Queen song. This video has scenes from the 1927 film Metropolis. Some lost scenes to the film have been discovered, and are planned to be restored. It would be cool to see the movie in its entirety.


You Got Lucky - Tom Petty

Not a SF song, but a video about a future like the Mad Max movies.


She Blinded Me With Science - Thomas Dolby

Mad Scientist: another good SF theme.


Venus and Mars - Paul McCartney & Wings

Venus and Mars are alright tonight.


Paul McCartney & Wings - Venus and Mars / Spirits of Ancient Egypt Uploaded by oliwiajackie

Threshold - The Steve Miller Band

This song has always sounded a little creepy to me. A UFO is searching for you, its searchlights scanning the area. Will they catch you?


The Steve Miller Band-Threshold/Jet Air Liner
Uploaded by onlythemusik

No comments: