Tuesday, May 22, 2007

“It’s All About Me” Songs.

You’ve heard songs like this, where the artist just has to sing their own name in the song, just in case you can’t figure out who is doing the singing. I usually think these songs are lame, but some of them are good, once they get over introducing themselves.

1. “I Feel For You” by Chaka Khan

Who sings this song? I dunno. Could it be…

“Chaka, Chaka, Chaka
Chaka Khan
Chaka Khan
Chaka Khan
Chaka Khan
Chaka Khan
Let me rock you
Let me rock you”

That’s right! After this guy shuts up, Chaka Khan will start singing. Oh, now what was her name again?

“Chaka Khan,
Let me rock you
Let me rock you
Chaka Khan
Let me rock you
That's all I wanna do
Chaka Khan, let me rock you
Let me rock you, Chaka Khan
Let me rock you
'Cause I feel for you
Feel for you”

2. “Hollywood Swinging” by Kool and the Gang

“I remember
Not too long ago
I went to a theatre
And I saw the Kool and The Gang show”

Dude, your band saw your band?

3. “Everybody Have Fun Tonight” by Wang Chung

“Everybody have fun tonight
Everybody Wang Chung tonight”

I guess "Wang Chung" is both a noun and a verb.

4. "Float On" by The Floaters

The band members introduce themselves, one at a time, in each of the verses, along with their sign (how 70s) and the kind of woman they like. When it gets Larry’s turn to sign, he can’t think of anything romantic to sing, so he sings “Cancer and my name is Larry, huh. And I like a woman that loves everything and everybody.”

Wow, everything?

I guess that would include you, Larry.

5. "Tighten Up" by Archie Bell and the Drells

First, they introduce the band, and tell us “We don't only sing but we dance just as good as we walk.”

Good for you! Then, in each verse, they introduce another part of the band: the drums, the bass, the guitar, and the organ. Hey, now we got the whole band playing! This must be the end of the song. :)

6. "The Girl Is Mine" by Michael Jackson and Paul McCartney

Two men fighting over the same girl. Who’s singing?

Paul: "Michael, we're not going to fight about this, okay?"

Michael: "Paul, I think I told you, i'm a lover not a fighter."

Oh, I guess that settles it.

7. "Ballroom Blitz" by Sweet

It's a good song, but they can't seem to start it until they take roll call…

"Are you ready, Steve?"

"Aha."

"Andy?"

"Yeah!"

"Mick?"

"OK."

"Alright, fellas, let's go!"

8. "Daydream Believer" by The Monkees

In this case, the lead singer (Davy) doesn't know what song to sing next. Fortunately, the rest of the group can help him out.

Mike Nesmith: "7A"

Davy Jones: "What number is this, Chip?"

Mike, Mickey Dolenz, and Peter Tork: "7A!"

Davy: "Okay, okay, I mean don't get excited guys, just 'cause I'm short, I know."

9. “Cars With The Boom” by L'Trimm

Who likes the cars?

“We like the cars, the cars that go boom,
We're Tigra and Bunny and we like the boom.”

Well, that answers that question.

Finally, to wrap up the list, we have:

10. “The Cover of the Rolling Stone” by Dr. Hook And The Medicine Show

While they don’t mention their names in the song, the whole song is about the band, and trying to get on the cover of Rolling Stone magazine. By the way, they did get on the cover:

The cover of the Rolling Stone.

No comments: