Friday, April 18, 2008

Science Fiction Music

There are a certain number of songs that have a definite SF theme to them. The obvious ones are from SF movies. But there are other songs that will pop up from time to time.

Mr. Spaceman – The Byrds

From the sixties. Another way to take a trip: hitch a ride with a spaceman!

Hey, Mr. Spaceman
Won't you please take me along
I won't do anything wrong
Hey, Mr. Spaceman
Won't you please take me along for a ride

From: Slingblade11



And here’s a comic for the same song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5Q8-ARJwb0

Come Sail Away – Styx

Styx had a similar idea in the seventies.

I thought that they were angels, but to my surprise
They climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

From: OzzyOsbourne



Close Encounters of the Third Kind – John Williams

Contact with extraterrestrials was the whole point of the movie “Close Encounters of the Third Kind.”

From: DarkLordSealskin



Meco did a disco version of the song:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=boWBRHh_Bfg

‘39 – Queen

I love this song. It deals with the time differential between people on Earth and people on a space ship traveling close to the speed of light. Time on the spaceship would slow down compared to time on Earth.

Don't you hear my call
Though you're many years away
Don't you hear me calling you
Write your letters in the sand
For the day I'll take your hand
In the land that our grand-children knew

The sad reunion of the spaceman and his wife, who is much older than him now.

Don't you hear my call
Though you're many years away
Don't you hear me calling you
All your letters in the sand
Cannot heal me like your hand
For my life, still ahead, pity me.

From: erkr4th



Flash Gordon – Queen

A happier song is this one. Here’s the trailer for the movie from 1980.

From: wildone



And here’s Queen performing the song.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=wNf9rEPoc8Q

Star Wars – Meco

And we can’t forget Star Wars. The original movie came out during the Disco age of the late 70’s.

From: mtanner47



You Got Lucky – Tom Petty

Not a SF song, but a video about a future like the Mad Max movies.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZTAhZKP5wCY

1 comment:

chaosgone said...

Other Sci Fi theme songs I like are: Futurama,Red Dwarf, and Dr. Who.